"What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?" -Vincent Van Gough

Saturday, February 26, 2011

knitting...


My brother recently asked me to teach him how to knit. He wanted to try a hat for his first project but that didn't work out. So he started with a scarf. I thought back to when I first started knitting. It was pretty frustrating. I kept getting concerned that he would get frustrated and give up. Trying to encourage him I said, "You just have to get past the frustrating stage." He said, "Everything is frustrating at first." I know this is a simple statement but it got me thinking. I have given up on some dreams out of frustration and fear of failure. I have wanted to start my own online business selling stuff that I make for a long time. The fear of failing at something I love to do has kept me from doing what I love. I have to get past the frustration stage in this area of my life. I had gotten past the frustration stage in knitting by making mittens for Christmas gifts but didn't realize it.
In order to do this I am working on improving my sewing skills. So far I have made a dog bed (which my dogs defluffed), transformed a 3xl shirt to a large, patched jeans, and I'm working on a new curtain for our living room.

No comments: